If you’ve been injured on the job, Hoffman Law Firm can help! Our experienced South Carolina Workers’ Compensation lawyers are committed to defending the rights of injured workers here in the Lowcountry.
From medical expenses to lost wages, trust our team to fight for the full benefits you deserve. Call today to schedule a free consultation!
What Is Considered a Work-Related Injury?
The first step in filing a Workers’ Compensation claim is determining if your injury is indeed considered “work-related.” If you were injured performing any task or activity for the benefit of your employer, you are eligible to receive Workers’ Compensation benefits.
Top Injuries While at Work
These are most common workplace injuries in the Charleston, SC area:
- Lifting: Improper or repetitive lifting of heavy construction materials, cargo, equipment, etc can result in painful sprains and strains.
- Repetitive motion: Performing the same task over and over is a form of cumulative trauma. (example: carpal tunnel syndrome)
- Overexertion: Those who work in extreme conditions or physically challenging environments are prone to overexertion.
- Falls, slips or trips: These injuries can happen in any work environment, and may result in broken bones, sprains, traumatic brain injury, etc.
- Motor vehicle/transportation accidents: Workers who drive as a part of their job are vulnerable to reckless drivers, inclement weather and vehicle problems.
- Contact with falling objects: Head injuries are the most common result, but cuts, bruises, fractures, etc may occur as well.
- Explosions and fires: These may result in burns and other serious injuries.
While some of these injuries require a short recovery period, others may result in permanent disability. To learn more about the disability benefits available if you cannot return to work, contact your Charleston Workers’ Compensation lawyers at Hoffman Law Firm today.
Steps to Take After an Injury at Work
Here’s what to do after your work injury:
- Be sure to report your injury to your employer as soon as possible.
- Check back in with your employer to make sure that they have actually filed your Workers’ Comp claim.
- Maintain detailed records.
- Take photos of your accident scene to document your workplace injury.
- Determine which doctors are covered by your employer’s Workers’ Compensation insurance.
- Receive medical care from the company doctor.
Charleston Workers’ Compensation Lawyers
If you’ve been injured on the job in Mount Pleasant, Charleston or the surrounding areas, contact Hoffman Law Firm today! Our qualified personal injury attorneys know Workers’ Compensation laws inside and out – and we’re dedicated to getting you the full benefits you are entitled to.
If you have already filed a claim but it was denied, requesting a South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission hearing may be the next step. We will walk you through the entire process, making it as simple and stress-free as possible. To get started, call Hoffman Law Firm today to schedule your free consultation!