Charleston Defective Product Lawyers
Take Action After a Defective Product Injury
The consumer products that line store shelves are assumed to be safe and effective, but this is not always the case. Thousands of injuries result each year nationwide when design flaws or manufacturing defects turn a purchased product into a hazard.
If you’ve been injured by a product in Charleston, SC, Hoffman Law Firm’s product liability lawyers can help. Dedicated to defending the injured, our trusted team will hold the manufacturer accountable – and advocate for your rights each step of the way.
What Is Product Liability?
Because there is no federal product liability law, each state is left to set their own standards. Hoffman Law Firm’s product liability lawyers understand the intricacies of South Carolina law, and the specific statutes that govern manufacturers and the marketplace.
Put simply, product liability refers to a business’s responsibility to protect consumers, and holds them accountable when safety standards are not met.
Types of Defective Product Cases
Each product follows a supply chain before being stocked on the shelf. This means that numerous entities play a role in getting it from concept to creation, and finally, to consumers’ hands.
Here we’ve detailed various types of product defects that may occur along the way:
- Design defects: These flaws exist before the product is even manufactured, and become dangerous when the ill-fated product transitions from the design phase to production. (Example: a medical device or medication that’s design/formula causes serious side effects)
- Manufacturing defects: These defects are unintentional mistakes that occur in the manufacturing/assembly stage. (Example: an engine defect that results in car accidents)
- Marketing defects: These defects involve the instructions, labels and safety warnings provided to consumers. (Example: a cleaning product containing skin irritants does not include adequate warnings/instructions for use)
Determining Fault in a Product Liability Case
If you’ve been injured by a defective product, recovering damages starts with determining fault. Who is to blame for your injury? Who should be held responsible?
Proving that the product is defective is not enough. You must also prove that your injury was caused by the defect itself. This can be difficult, which is why it’s crucial to have an experienced product liability attorney on your side.
Your lawyer can help determine which theory applies when pursuing damages from a product liability case:
- Breach of warranty: Involves the manufacturer’s failure to uphold standards listed in the warranty
- Negligence: Names another person’s negligence as the cause of the injury
- Strict liability: Awards compensation without proving negligence
“Strict liability” is the most common route to recovering damages because proving a manufacturer’s negligence is often complicated and costly. This doctrine was developed to ensure injured consumers are compensated, even if they can’t definitely prove the manufacturer’s carelessness.
Damages from a Defective Product Claim
Here at Hoffman Law Firm LLC, our product liability attorneys understand that the outcome of your defective product lawsuit significantly impacts your future. The damages awarded will be used to support your family if you can’t work, to pay your medical bills, to get your life back on track.
That’s why we’ll work hard to secure compensation for the following:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Disability costs
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages
Product Liability Lawyers at Hoffman Law Firm
If a serious injury or wrongful death was the tragic result of a defective consumer product, trust Hoffman Law Firm to fight for the justice you deserve. We’ll start with your free consultation, using our first meeting to learn more about your case and to create an attorney-client relationship. Once we’ve earned your trust, we’ll get to work.
Call today to schedule your free consultation.