Even a seemingly innocent social media post can negatively affect your personal injury case. While great for keeping in touch with friends and family, your social media account can be used against you after an accident.
Here at Hoffman Law Firm, our South Carolina personal injury attorneys have detailed why it is best to take a break from social media if you have been injured in an accident.
Is Social Media Admissible in Your Case?
Social media content is admissible in court, including your posts, location check-ins and photos – and the comments on them. Insurance companies will take a deep dive into your social media accounts to find something that contradicts your personal injury claim.
Social Media Best Practices After An Injury
Until your South Carolina personal injury case has been resolved, we recommend the following best practices:
- Do not post any content about your accident on social media sites.
- Do not post about your physical injuries.
- Do not share any details about your personal injury case.
- Do not provide updates on your condition.
- Adjust your privacy settings so that only your personal contacts can view your account.
- Do not accept “friend” or “follow” requests from anyone you do not know.
- Remind friends and family not to ask about your recovery online.
- Request that friends refrain from tagging you in any posts or photos.
- Do not delete any content without first consulting your lawyer.
How Contradictory Content Can Hurt Your Case
If you have been injured in a car accident or truck accident, insurance companies will do all they can to dispute the extent of your injuries. For instance, they may use photos of you smiling or participating in outdoor activities as evidence that you are not really as hurt as you claim to be.
While you may think you can filter your posts accordingly, it is not worth the risk. We recommend that injury victims in Charleston, South Carolina simply refrain from posting on social media platforms until their case is resolved.
Contact An Experienced Charleston Personal Injury Lawyer
Hoffman Law Firm is proud to serve the Lowcountry, including Mount Pleasant, Summerville, Charleston, SC and the surrounding areas. If you have been injured in an accident, our team is here to help.
Contact us today to schedule your free consultation!