If handled incorrectly, your personal injury could leave behind more than bruises or scars – and put your family’s future at risk. Many victims make mistakes in their pursuit of compensation, and the impact can be nearly as painful as the injury itself.
That’s why it is important to have a Charleston personal injury attorney on your side. Here at Hoffman Law Firm, our experienced team offers helpful legal advice and advocates for the injured – including those involved in auto accidents, trucking accidents, Workers’ Compensation cases, medical malpractice lawsuits and more.
Our team has compiled this list of mistakes to
avoid in your personal injury case:
- Waiting to see your doctor.
Delaying medical treatment can have a disastrous effect on your case, giving the insurance company grounds to claim that your injuries were not the result of your accident – or that they are not that severe. It is crucial for injury victims to seek medical treatment immediately.
- Failing to document important evidence.
Be sure to take photos and/or video of the accident scene and your injuries if possible. This documentation will be beneficial once you have selected a personal injury attorney near you. Also, keep all records documenting your medical care and financial losses (vehicle repairs, lost wages, etc).
- Not disclosing the extent of your injuries.
When visiting the doctor, make sure to mention every injury – even a seemingly insignificant ache or pain. Injuries can worsen over time and it’s important to document them from the start.
- Making a statement before speaking to your attorney.
Many insurance companies take advantage of injury victims, calling for a statement right away. While it may seem that they are simply calling to see how you are feeling, remember that the insurance company is NOT on your side. Do not say anything about your condition to anyone but your doctor or your attorney.
- Choosing the wrong lawyer.
Not every attorney is experienced in personal injury law. Do your research and find a personal injury law firm in Charleston, SC with trusted experience handling your specific type of case.
Important Evidence to Support Your Personal Injury Claim
In determining fault, the following evidence is very helpful to your attorney:
- Photographs: Whether your accident occured at work, on the road or somewhere in between, photos of the scene are incredibly valuable.
- Witness statements: If other people witnessed your personal injury, their testimony can help prove your case.
- Accident reports: Police and incident reports also provide key details.
- Communication with the insurance company: If you have any documents from the insurance company, turn those over to your attorney.
- Lost wages: Document the days you missed work because of your injuries to receive full compensation.
- Medical records: Ask for copies of medical records from every health care provider you visit, such as the hospital, emergency room, surgical center, specialists, physical therapist, etc. Also keep records of prescriptions, receipts and medical bills.
Call The Personal Injury Lawyers at Hoffman Law Firm
If you have been injured, contact Hoffman Law Firm today. Our office is conveniently located in North Charleston, South Carolina – and we are here to help!
During your free consultation, our qualified team will discuss the types of damages you are eligible for, such as compensation for medical care, lost wages, pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. If you lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence, we are also experienced in handling wrongful death cases.
Get in touch today to schedule your free consultation!